A “culture of coaching” means your executives, managers, and front-line staff brings out the best in each other, constantly improves results, and builds an unstoppable team which works toward the goals of the organization. Ultimately a culture of coaching encourages and enables all employees to not only delight their internal and external customers but to implement ideas which will increase revenues and profits and increase the value of the organization.
Here are five reasons why you get an edge with a culture of coaching:
- Improve accountability and results. Coaches create significant, measurable improvements in performance. They do this by agreeing on specific performance metrics, tracking results, and having appropriate conversations to keep people accountable.
- Develop leaders who continue to improve the organization. Coaching builds organizational capacity by developing leaders. With coaching, people gain insights into their own strengths and capabilities, embrace the vision and potential of their organization, and take responsibility for moving the organization forward.
- Improve communication up, down, and across the organization. Coaches train people to have open, honest conversations about how to make things better without getting defensive, protecting turf, or blaming others. Coaching ensures that everyone is aligned and working towards the same strategic priorities.
- Give employees the skills they need to perform. Coaching builds expertise in key areas required for high performance; specifically by learning how to: communicate powerfully, engage employees, manage up, build relationships, influence without formal power,develop one’s career, manage change, build teams, set strategic direction, focus one’s time on key priorities, and develop others.
- Become a magnet for top talent. The best talent insists upon opportunities which advance their skills and career. When you have a culture of coaching, you tell prospective and current employees that you care about their ongoing development. You also create an environment that reduces turnover among your best-performing employees.